IMPRESS welcomes ‘milestone’ report into press sustainability
Jonathan Heawood, CEO of IMPRESS, said: ‘The Cairncross Review is a milestone in the history of journalism. Dame Frances has focused not on rebuilding the industry of the past, but on sustaining high-quality journalism for the future. We welcome her sensible recommendations and look forward to working with all stakeholders to bring about the changes that are necessary to support the public interest in high-quality journalism.’
In September 2018, IMPRESS made a detailed submission to the Cairncross Review into Press Sustainability. Drawing on comments and concerns from the network of 110+ independent news organisations that IMPRESS regulates, IMPRESS suggested that the government should:
- Provide a subsidy to some publishers of high-quality journalism, subject to clear criteria and independent oversight;
- Establish an independent public body, funded through a permanent endowment, to provide support for high-quality journalism.
- Review the tax regime in relation to news publishers, to ensure that appropriate tax benefits flow to the publishers of high-quality journalism;
- Create a new legal identity for some publishers of high-quality journalism, akin to charitable status, to help attract philanthropic support;
- Support media literacy by enhancing Ofcom’s powers in this area; and
- Encourage social media platforms to help audiences distinguish between high-quality journalism and other forms of content.
IMPRESS is glad to see that in her Review, Dame Frances has largely adopted the IMPRESS recommendations to ensure the sustainability of high-quality journalism.
IMPRESS looks forward to working with Government, independent publishers and the public to take forward these recommendations.
[Full IMPRESS response to the Cairncross Review in progress].
IMPRESS regulates 110+ publications in the UK. We provide publishers and journalists with the protection and support they need to do their job. We offer complaints adjudication, free arbitration, a comprehensive insurance scheme and a progressive Standards Code. We work in partnership with the public, publishers and key stakeholders to raise the standards of journalism. impress.press @impressreg
Clara Aguirre: email@example.com / 020 3325 4290